DIY Eat – Golden Koi Cookies
Cancer fighting tumeric and fish treats
These golden cookies don’t just have the flavour of fish—they are fish. This recipe was developed for dogs fighting cancer, combining ingredients higher in protein and lower in carbohydrates than regular weight-based cookies. The turmeric and fish will aid dogs in fighting the big C. The garbanzo flour also creates a cookie that is safe for dogs with gluten allergies. The drier the cookie is, the less you’ll smell it when you open the cookie jar.
1 (3.5-oz) can sardines packed in tomato sauce
1 large egg
¼ c water
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 ½ c garbanzo flour, plus more for rolling out
¼ c canola oil
• Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly dust a baking sheet with garbanzo flour.
• Using a fork, blend the sardines, egg, water, and turmeric in a medium bowl until the sardines are reduced to a fine texture.
• Stir the garbanzo flour and oil into the sardine mixture with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together.
• Knead briefly to gather the dough into a ball and transfer directly to the baking sheet. Flatten the ball and shape in to a square.
• Dust the top of the dough with additional garbanzo flour and roll into a 10-inch square. Then cut with a pizza cutter into 1-inch squares.
• Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned and dry.
• Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet before breaking them apart at the cut lines.