DIY Eat - Sweet Potato Chews

DIYEAT-SweetoPotatoDogChews.jpg
DIY Eat - Sweet Potato Chews
Prepare these single ingredient fiber- and vitamin-rich treats for your dog in 5 minutes flat!

All you need is five minutes prep time and a single raw yam or sweet potato. Pure, easy, and unadulterated, dog treats don’t get any healthier, easier or less expensive than this.

DIRECTIONS
• Preheat oven to 250° F.
• Scrub the sweet potato or yam. No need to peel.
• Cut it into thin slices (the thinner the slice the shorter the cooking time) and place on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
• Bake in oven at 250° F for about 3 hours for slightly chewy treats or bake slightly longer to get them crunchy. Note: timing will vary according to the thickness of your slices; just keep an eye on them. Or, better yet, if you have a dehydrator, pop them in there instead of the oven.

Tip

Sweet potatoes are a source of dietary fiber and contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, beta carotene, and manganese. Most dogs love the chewy sweetness of a delish dehydrated sweet potato treat. And you can rest easy knowing there’s no additives, preservatives or anything extraneous added.

Comments (13)

Our lil bulldog Maggie has alot of allergies and can not eat most dogfood or treats, she eats Natural Balance Sweet Potato and fish dry dog food, so these she can eat. Thanks for sharing this, going to make these for Maggie.
Mon, 09/03/2012 - 13:29
I really like this idea and will make these for my dogs..just one thing I would like to know. Is it okay to feed these to a diabetic dog? I buy him the chicken fillet but just realized after reading a notice from Cedar Ridge Canine Care that some treats from China can kill (the last pkg's I bought him, I read, are from China ) so now I will not give him these.what would you suggest?
Mon, 09/03/2012 - 13:37
I wouldn't feed my dogs anything from China! If you have the time and can bake homemade, then you know what goes in your treats and the ingredients are "fit for human consumption". Moderation is key for feeding any dog and these treats would be great for him :)
Mon, 05/20/2013 - 10:11
what is the shelf life once dried? how do you store them?
Mon, 06/03/2013 - 10:53
These last up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Fri, 01/10/2014 - 13:18
How do you store these? Do they need to be refrigerated?
Thu, 07/11/2013 - 09:56
These last up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Fri, 01/10/2014 - 13:17
My Long Haired Dachshund has a Nutritionist at UC Davis who told me that NO JERKY TYPE TREATS FROM AMERICA OR ANY OTHER COUNTRY ARE SAFE!! That's the word from the top vet school in the nation. Even the "filet" type treats are causing deaths and serious organ damage. If you love your pet, DON'T feed commercial treats. It's so easy to make your own. I cook my dog's food, as well. UC Davis formulated a healthy diet for my Service Dog and we travel all over the world. It's easy to cook for her and she is much more healthier! Commercial treats are death sentences for your loving dog!
Thu, 11/28/2013 - 12:25
You stated that NO jerky treats from ANY country are SAFE!!! WHY!!! What is it about commercial treats that are causing these deaths and or serious organ damage?
Sat, 03/22/2014 - 17:34
My vet told me to always peel the sweet potato because the skin is toxic to dogs. I noticed when I feed him Sam's Yam's, which have the skin on them, he gets diarrhea. So be sure to peel them!!!
Sat, 02/08/2014 - 13:07
Hello,
Sweet Potato Skin is NOT Toxic to dogs unless raw...dehydrated skins are perfectly fine for dogs. :)
Tue, 10/28/2014 - 10:15
If you peel them, couldn't you just feed your dog raw slices of sweet potato? I have given my chi small pieces when I am cooking and he loves them. They don't seem to hurt him.
Sat, 11/22/2014 - 23:57
I have a bichon who is so picky. Thanks for the nice recipe. I am going to try this on him!!!
Tue, 09/16/2014 - 16:52