D.I.Y. Craft – Tag Silencers
Silence is golden. Make your dog a cool-looking tag silencer.
Paper and pencil
Paper-backed fusible web
Craft felt in assorted colours
Cotton fabric in assorted colours
Finished size: each approximately
2 ½ x 3 inches (6.5 x 7.5 cm)
Sit. Make it!
1. Enlarge the templates [ Click here to download templates]. Cut
them out and set aside. (Note that each silencer has a
front and back).
2. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, use the iron
to apply the paper-backed fusible web to one side of the
craft felt. Don’t peel the paper away. When the fabric is
cool, trace around the templates—including a front and
back for each—onto the fusible web’s paper backing. Cut
out the designs from the felt.
3. Remove the paper from the back of the felt, and use
the iron to adhere the shapes to pieces of the cotton fabric.
Cut away any excess fabric, trimming it to the shape
of the felt.
4. Use the paper-backed fusible web to apply felt appliqués
as desired to the front of the tag.
5. Use the sewing machine to zigzag around the appliqués.
You can also zigzag stripes on the cat’s face.
Embroider French knots (Figure a) for sesame seeds on
the top of the burger bun. Zigzag around the top edges of
the front and back of each shape.
6. With cotton sides facing, lay the front and back for
each silencer together. Use the zigzag stitch around the
side edges to sew the front to the back. Leave the tops
open so you can slip in the tags later.
7. Sew a snap onto the tab of the back piece and to the
front of the silencer.
8. Using the embroidery floss, work the blanket stitch
(Figure b) around the edge of each piece. To hide the
stitching for the snap on the front of the tab, embroider a
dot over the stitches using the satin stitch (Figure c).