DIY Eat - Gelatin Treats for Dogs
Gelatin contains amino acids beneficial for skin, hair, and joint health. Spruce up this super-powered ingredient with our choose your flavour tasty gelatin treat recipe! (Remember, treats should comprise no more than 10% of your dog’s daily caloric intake.)
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 Tbsp plain unflavoured gelatin*
*Warning: any flavoured or artificially sweetened gelatin products like Jell-o brand can be potentially toxic to dogs so make sure to use plain, unflavoured varieties of gelatin. We like Great Lakes Gelatin.
Choose Your Flavour:
Coconut Water + Coconut
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut water
Broth + Parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup low sodium broth
Pumpkin + Cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¹⁄₈ tsp cinnamon
Low-cal Jelly Jiggler (great for dogs on a diet!)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 Tbsp of your dog’s favourite treat (crumbled or chopped)
- Pour ¼ cup of cold water in a bowl, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp gelatin
- Pour ¼ cup of hot water over the gelatin and whisk until dissolved
- Combine gelatin mixture with desired add in. Pour into ice cube trays, moulds or a glass baking pan.
- Cover and chill for 3 hours. Cut and/or un-mould into small individual treats. Will keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
If your dog is on a protein-restricted diet (if he has chronic kidney or liver disease, for example), avoid any treats unless you consult your veterinarian first.