Safety Tips for Super Bowl Sunday

Super Bowl Dogs
Safety Tips for Super Bowl Sunday
Keep your dog safe during the big game


Is your dog ready for the Super Bowl?

Like almost everyone else, we'll be tuning into the Super Bowl this Sunday (Snacks galore! Half-time show! Oh, and football!). However, certain foods and drinks typically consumed during the “big game” can be dangerous to your pets. Central Veterinary Associates has created these cautionary tips to help you and your dog or cat enjoy the festivities safely. Play safe! The following are no-no's for dogs and cats:

Alcohol — Plain and simple, alcohol is a toxin and even small amounts can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, coma, or death in pets.

Chips & Dip — Most dips contain onions and garlic, which destroy pets’ red blood cells and can result in anemia. Salty foods, such as potato chips, can cause excessive thirst, urination, and sodium poisoning.

Guacamole — Avocado contains persin, a substance that can prove fatal to birds. For dogs and cats, it’s unclear how toxic it is, but it is recommended that avocados or anything made from them not be fed to your pets.  The pit also causes concern for dogs, as it can lead to an intestinal obstruction or can even become lodged in their throats.

Ice Cream — Everyone loves ice cream, including — unfortunately — pets. Dairy products can upset their digestive tracts and cause stomach distress and diarrhea.

Nuts — Besides being a choking hazard, certain nuts like macadamias can poison your pets.  As few as six can cause your pet to experience muscle tremors, weakness, vomiting, fever and an elevated heart rate.  Eating chocolate with nuts can exacerbate these symptoms.

Chocolate — Chocolate contains dairy (see above) and a chemical called theobromine, which can be fatal to pets.

Fat Trimmings — Fat trimmed from meats like barbecued ribs can cause pancreatitis in dogs.

Bones — While you might think it is second nature to give a dog a bone (or chicken wing, as the case may be), bones can cause obstructions in pets’ digestive tracts and also lead to choking. They can also break off and puncture the animal’s stomach lining.

Caffeinated Beverages — Sugary sodas are a staple at any party, but not for your animals.  The caffeine in soda, coffee, tea, and iced tea can be toxic to pets and lead to abnormal heart rhythms, seizure, and death.

“Many times, pet owners will be enjoying the game and conversing with their friends, which makes them forget about checking on the status of their pets,” says Dr. John Charos, President/CEO, Central Veterinary Associates. “Guests should be aware of the dangers that certain food and drinks could have on your pets. Ask your guests not to feed or sneak food to them. If you notice that your dog or cat has ingested something they shouldn’t have or are acting sick, bring them to your veterinarian as soon as possible.”

The answer: keep one eye on the game and the other on your dog!

Add a comment

Comments (2)

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly
helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to provide something again and help others like you aided me.
Fri, 07/20/2018 - 10:06
Fastidious answers in return of this query with firm arguments and describing the whole thing concerning that.
Fri, 08/03/2018 - 22:06

Dog of the Week!

Meet: BeBe