Pesticides and Your Pet

Pesticides and Your Pet

2

While spring is a time to plant beautiful flowers in your yard, it also brings pesky insects out in numbers. Because of this, a potential hazard this time of year for pets is pesticides.

"Before choosing a pesticide read the label to ensure it is safe for your pet," said Michael Golding, assistant professor at the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences. "Avoid products with bone-meal as these can be tasty to your pet, and pesticides with organophosphates and carbamates as these can be extremely deadly."

The most common ways pets come into contact with pesticides is licking the toxic substances from their feet or coat, or by directly consuming the product from a container that has been left out.

If your pet begins showing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, trouble walking, drooling, nausea, and/or tremors contact your veterinarian immediately as these are signs that your pet is suffering from pesticide related toxicity.

"A common way pesticides cause problems in our pets is through organophosphates and carbamates," said Golding. "They act as competitive inhibitors of acetylcholinesterase, a key component of the central nervous system that allows the brain to regulate the body."

While newer, more environmentally safe pesticides have a wider safety margin, they are still not 100% safe.

"A product that is labeled 'green' is not necessarily safe for dog/cat who decides to eat it," said Golding. "It is best to be safe, so call your vet and read him/her the label information as soon as your pet has contact with the substance."

While pesticides are a main source for toxicity in pets, there are many other toxins in a home that pets can come into contact with.

"Garage toxins such as antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, and fertilizers, and kitchen toxins like chocolate, bread dough, grapes, and onions are examples of household items that can be problematic if your pet comes into contact with them," said Golding. "For any toxic exposure, contact your veterinarian immediately. Another excellent resource is also the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680."

 

 

Add a comment

Comments (2)

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering troubles with your RSS.
I don?t know why I can't subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having similar RSS issues?
Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond?
Thanx!! http://byolwiki.azurewebsites.net/index.php?title=Top_11_Tips_In_Order_To_Healthy_Brain
Sat, 07/21/2018 - 17:47
I?m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that?s both educative and amusing, and let me tell you,
you've hit the nail on the head. The issue is something which too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.
I'm very happy I came across this in my hunt
for something regarding this. http://koreahomecenter.net/request/54886
Sat, 07/21/2018 - 20:07

Dog of the Week!

Meet: Aston